I’m really not trying to turn this into a pancake blog or even a weekend breakfast blog, but these were too good not to share. Now that I’ve found my perfect pancake recipe, I can’t help but play with it a bit and think of tasty variations.
I posted on Facebook last week about minimizing food waste, and how meal planning is one of the best ways to do that. That doesn’t mean I don’t waste any food, but I do try to use most of it up, and because I have chickens I can feed it to them as well and then I don’t feel guilty about wasting it. The way I see it, if the chickens eat it, then I save money on chicken feed, plus I do end up eating it (in the form of eggs) so, win-win!
Bananas are one of those foods that I do often end up with at the end of the week. What is it about bananas that makes them perfectly ripe one day then almost immediately brown and speckled? Whenever my bananas get to the brown zone, I throw them in the freezer for smoothies, banana bread, or muffins. This weekend I was about to throw a couple more in the freezer when I wondered if the pancake recipe would taste good with bananas and chocolate chips in it? At our house, the answer was a resounding yes.
Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Makes about a dozen
· 2 eggs
· 5 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
· 1 cup milk
· 2 ripe bananas, mashed
· 2 cups all-purpose flour
· 1 tablespoon sugar
· 4 teaspoons baking powder
· ¾ teaspoon salt
· ½ cup chocolate chip cookies
· whipped cream, for serving (optional)
1. In a large bowl, beat eggs lightly. Add butter, milk, and bananas and mix well. Add dry ingredients and mix gently, just until dry ingredients are moistened, taking care not to overmix.
2. Heat oven to 250 degrees and place a cookie sheet inside. Heat a pan or a griddle to medium heat. Using a ¼ cup measuring cup or ladle, pour batter into pan. When bubbles in the center of the pancake start to burst and the edges look dry, flip over and cook until the bottom is lightly browned. Transfer to the cookie sheet in the oven to keep warm. Serve with whipped cream if desired.